Monday, July 27, 2009

Thriller Zombie March

How better to commemorate Michael Jackson than by staging the largest synchronized performance of the zombie Thriller dance on the 1-month anniversary of MJ's death?

[FULL MUSIC VIDEO]

Presenting: 2009 ZOMBIE THRILLER MARCH/DANCE!




Yes, I participated (you can kind of barely see me in the picture above). I spent three-ish hours learning about half of the dance with Kirsten before giving up. Well worth it. Especially since I've spent an entire semester of Dance class learning something that long!

Over a thousand people gathered in Chicago's Wicker Park, most in zombie makeup and torn clothing (Kirsten, Katie, and I had the makeup down). From then we went on a "zombie march," making groaning and roaring and growling noises up and down Milwaukee and North Avenues, attaching ourselves 28 Days Later-style to buses and cars. If people didn't know about it beforehand, it might have actually been frightening.

The horde:



There was even a "Zombie Task Force" of three people in Ghostbusters-esque suits and pellet guns, attacking zombie hipsters as if their lives depended upon it. However, one unfortunate warrior was attacked! Makeup was quickly applied, and thus the Zombie Buster became a Zombie. Here's a picture of Kirsten and I turning the poor boy into a zombie (I'm wearing the Brown Hershey's shirt):


An amazing time, and a fantastic cultural event. I hope it becomes an annual tradition!

R.I.P. M.J.

Last picture of ZOMBIEZ:


*all pictures but the one above are copyrighted by Flickr

No comments: